What is a limit break?
A limit break is a powerful cooldown that is shared by an entire party and it’s specific to the combat role a player is performing.
What it does
- Tank – Reduces damage taken for whole part
- Melee DPS – Massive single target damage
- Ranged physical DPS – Damage to all targets in a straight line before the caster
- Ranged magical DPS – Deal massiva area of effect damage
- Healers – Restore HP and MP to the entire party
How you use it
The limit break is visualized by a bar that slowly fills up while you are in combat during an instance, it looks like this:
When the bar fills to 100, any member of the party is able to activate the Limit Break. The activation is done via an action that you find in your ability menu, you just drag and drop it onto your hotbars like any other normal skill.
Only usable in party
Limit Breaks are only usable in a party environment. There are 3 levels of limit breaks, each one adding a bar to the first one. The third level is not only role specific, but also job specific.
- 1st level can be used in a light party with 4 or more members.
- 2nd level needs a full party of 8 members, or a light party of 4 during a dungeon or trial boss battle.
- 3rd level requires a full raid of 24 players.
What causes the gauge to build up?
After prowling the internet for answers I finally came to the following conclusion: Nobody really knows. We do however feel very certain about a couple of triggers making it go up, we just don’t know if it’s all of them.
The following will generate LB
- Taking damage. This is the main way a Tank builds LB
- Interrupting enemy abilities (only some abilities, usually only boss abilities and not all of them).
- Dealing critical damage. This is the main way DPS build LB
- Killing enemies
- Interrupting enemy abilities (only some abilities, usually only boss abilities and not all of them)
- Healing a tank from critical health (~10% health). *After the healer heals a tank from critical damage, limit break is built continuously over time until the LB is used.
- Critical healing.
- I have not found any consensus as to if healers interrupting abilities also builds LB
- The above methods are tied to job role. For example, a DPS or Healer getting hit by damage will not generate LB. Only Tanks taking damage will build it. Similarly, only a DPS who deals a critical damage will generate LB. Healers and Tanks do not generate LB from critical damage.
Party composition effects on LB:
- Duties accessed via the Duty Finder: Normal rate regardless of party composition
- Duties accessed outside of the Duty Finder: Limit break gauge will fill more slowly with the following party compositions:
- 3 or more tanks
- 5 or more DPS
- 3 or more healers
- Any duplicate jobs/classes
Comprehensive list of all Limit Breaks
Tank Limit Breaks
Shield Wall is the level 1 limit break for tanks. It reduces damage taken by all party members by 20% for 10 seconds.
Mighty Guard is the level 2 limit break for tanks. It reduces damage taken by all party members by 40% for 15 seconds.
Last Bastion (PLD)
Land Waker (WAR)
Dark Force (DRK)
Melee Physical DPS Limit Breaks
Braver is the level 1 limit break for Melee DPS. It executes a single target attack with potency of 2300.
Bladedance is the level 2 limit break for Melee DPS. It executes a single target attack with potency of 5000.
Final Heaven (MNK)
Dragonsong Dive (DRG)
Ranged Physical DPS Limit Breaks
Big Shot is the level 1 limit break for Ranged DPS.
Desperado is the level 2 limit break for Ranged DPS.
Saggitarius Arrow (BRD)
Satellite Beam (MCH)
Ranged Magical DPS Limit Breaks
Skyshard is the level 1 limit break for Caster DPS. It delivers an area of effect attack with potency of 1400.
Starstorm is the level 2 limit break for Caster DPS. It delivers an area of effect attack with potency of 3000.
Healer Limit Breaks
Healing Wind is the level 1 limit break for Healers. It restores 25% of HP and MP of all nearby party members.
Breath of the Earth
Breath of the Earth is the level 2 limit break for Healers. It restores 60% of HP and MP of all nearby party members.
Pulse of Life (WHM)
Pulse of Life is the level 3 limit break for White Mage. It restores 100% of HP of all nearby party members and revive any party members that are KO’d. Members that are resurrected via the limit break will also have 100% of their MP restored and have the debuffs Weakness and Near Death removed. level 3 limit break does not remove Weakness or Near Death from party members alive before the limit break.